Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bloom

The Daphne is beginning to bloom! I couldn't wait to cut a few sprigs and bring their glorious scent into the house. The promise of Spring hangs in the air and I am trying not to be impatient. I can not wait to get into the garden and get my hands dirty! If we get a break in the rain and the cold snap moves along, I will be ready to get some seeds in the ground. I'm dreaming of salads made with our own lettuce and nasturtiums.

All this Spring wishing has me in mind to clean away the cobwebs and move things around in the little green cottage. To invite Spring in and make her welcome.

Little stripey birds and happy Holland clogs above the sofa might do the trick!

And then yesterday, I woke up with a wild idea and set about painting our dark hallway. Which in turn meant taking all the books and CDs off of their dusty shelves and deciding new homes for things. Well, this morning I am questioning the wisdom of such a plan...for suddenly there are books and papers in piles all about the house and I've only managed to prime the darkness in streaky white so far. Oh, we have guests coming this afternoon? How nice. Perhaps I can convince them that an earthquake hit our house only, what you didn't feel that? How curious. I am off now to see if perhaps there is a little door behind the sofa that leads to a magical dimension in which I can store all the extra junk...wouldn't that be convenient?
Wish me luck.

Have a lovely day my dears!

16 comments:

Floss said...

Well, very best of luck - a new friend of Son 2's said to me (in French) last weekend :'When I first came up here it was full up, but now it's empty!' He was referring to our mezzanine floor, which was in such a state as you describe for a good four months before Christmas... The joy of clearing it all into proper places cannot be described! I love the space above your sofa.

Vintage Tea Time said...

Love the birds! Laughed at your tale of painting - that's the sort of idea I have, you think it'll be a quick thing - and it grows and causes more problems! But it'll be good in the end. Give your friends a paintbrush as they come through the door! X

Mom L said...

Vintage is right - give your friends a paintbrush and tell them it's part of the entertainment! As for the books - stack them in creative columns or make them into end tables. CDs? Tape them to the walls? LOL!!! Have fun!

Nancy in Iowa

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I think we're all impatient for spring. Today however was a lovely day and I did manage to get my hands dirty. My tomatos seeds are now planted and it feels good!!
Love your birdies. :)
Vivienne x

Flaming Nora said...

Get Pony girl to find you the door way, I suspect if anyone can she can.

Colette said...

I keep imagining I have such a door - it leads to the kitchen where I mistakenly hide everything in the corner and pretend it's only me that can see it.

june at noon said...

I'm so ready for Spring too. It's been so warm the last few days, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet. :)

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Wishing you some cleaning and painting gnomes :)

diane said...

love those pics!
- my magical dimension lies within a bottle of wine............see you later :)

Unknown said...

Hah. I've been there. A moment of inspiration strikes, and suddenly I'm knee deep in something that I didn't quite think through. It's usually worth it in the end, though.

I've been wishing for spring, too. The last two days have given us bits of sun. So, so nice.

Sherri B. said...

I can smell the Daphne now, I have always been in love with the intoxicating smell.

That sounds like something I would do, have a 'brilliant' idea and then think it will take no time at all! In those moments of despiration, I wouldn't think twice about loading up some boxes with those books and pushing them under the beds!

lifeshighway said...

I am not above shoving things under the bed and my mother in law has been known to put thing in the oven... with dire results.

willow and moo said...

Don't worry about the mess! Your guests will understand. It's not like there isn't a reason for the chaos!

Janee Lookerse said...

Lola the yellow clogs and the birds are so beautiful! Good luck on your repainting :)

xoxo
Janee
yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

Tania said...

Under the sofa. In the washing machine - DON'T accidentally turn it on. In the car. If entirely desperate, try the hen house. Tidy yet?

Zee said...

Blooming, already? Where are you at? Everything here is covered with snow...we will have to wait 2 more months for signs of Spring!
Thanks for visiting my blog! Come back always!