Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Little Cabin in the Woods


This past weekend I was so fortunate to be able to have a getaway to a little cabin in the woods. I packed my bags, kissed my family goodbye, and headed out on the road. A beautiful drive up the Columbia River stretched before me on a warm fall Friday afternoon.

It has been awhile since I've been able to get out on my own and connect with the natural world. While I usually take my solo weekends at the coast, this time it was a real treat to travel to an area I have not spent too much time in. A place of rolling grassy hills, scrub oak, shadowed mountains and ribbons of rivers running through.


This was my view from the deck where I spent my mornings with coffee and my afternoons reading. It was lovely weather, quiet and peaceful with a fair amount of bird watching and crocheting. No TV, no traffic, no schedule to keep... Ah yes.


Everyday I walked down along the river and breathed deeply of fresh air and blue skies.


I slept in a cozy nest where sunlight streamed through the windows. When I opened my duffle bag upon arrival, I found that Pony Girl has sent along a little friend to keep me company. The Little Red Hen and I had quite a time.

Part of my trip included a nearby class on Natural Dyeing from local plants. It was great. I'll tell you all about that in my next post! 

For now I'll just say how grateful I am to my family for keeping the home fires burning and giving me the chance to have this relaxing and lovely weekend. Many thanks to my friends for letting me stay in their sweet little cabin in the woods, it was so special. I will keep this weekend in my heart and soul for a long time to come.


Thank you cabin 21

1 comment:

Cut&Alter said...

I remember reading about one of your coastal escapes years ago when I lived in New Zealand. I was somewhat envious. My eldest was no way going to do without her mum for a few days. Fast forward a few years and my eldest is now 11 and is happy to be left, and has been for the past few years. I take a break from my family a couple of times a year now and I have to say it restores my sanity - we home educate aswell so I believe that it's well and truly deserved. I often think of you when I am away!!