Monday, October 19, 2015

Pumpkin Spice Bread


Tis the season. Are you done with pumpkin spice everything, everywhere yet? I'll be honest, when the coffee shop advertises "Pumpkin Flavored Lattes," I am not the least bit tempted. It seems the only pumpkin stuff I like is a handful of home baked goods using real pumpkin, and if it is one of my tried and true recipes... then, yes I'll have some more please!

This includes my recipe for Pumpkin Spice Bread. I've tried a lot of pumpkin bread recipes over the years, and never found THE ONE. So I played around adapting from a couple different recipes until I found, The One! It isn't overly sweet, it is nice and moist, and it gets better the next day if you can resist gobbling it all up the first day. No, this isn't a health bread, but I did cut down the sugar and oil amounts from most recipes I came across.
It is also made from the pumpkins we grew in our own garden!

Seriously, you should make this, the smell of it baking in the oven is out of this world!

Pumpkin Spice Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups pumpkin puree (non-sweetened and no spice added)
¾  cup granulated sugar
¾  cup brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour 
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½  teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 2 9x5” loaf pans.

In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat until well mixed.

Measure the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, spices and nuts into a separate bowl and mix until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture until just combined.

Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans. Bake on middle oven rack for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cool for 10 minutes, then remove loaves from pans and let cool completely on a rack. Slice and enjoy!

2 comments:

Frances said...

I so agree with you that the food shops, cafes, etc, do seem to suddenly have an overload of not that tempting pumpkin-related items on offer. Surely finding a home baked recipe that makes use of this beautiful autumn fruit]gouard/squash is the best way to appreciate harvest time.

Thanks so much for this recipe. As of now, I do have a tiny pumpkin giving a subtle orange accent to its resting place on the blue paint of my Shaker bench coffee table. A very quiet nod to October.

xo

Jennifer Hays said...

Your bread sounds (and looks) really good. I will have to save your recipe, thank you for sharing. Do you know, I tried to buy a can of pumpkin last week to bake a pie, and the store was completely out of canned pumpkin? I asked an employee about it and he said they can't keep pumpkin on the shelves anymore; as soon as they get any, someone comes in and buys them out. It really is pumpkin-spice-all-the-things these days, I guess!